Christmas Shape Cookies
These traditional German cookies are fun to make with children and are naturally gluten-free and dairy-free.
- 2 large egg whites. *** OR EGG WHITE SUBSTITUTE
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 cups finely ground almonds or almond meal
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
***The best egg white substitute is aquafaba. Not only is this substitute vegan, but it comes free with every can of chickpeas! In fact, by opting for aquafaba, you’ll actually be helping to reduce food waste.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with a whisk until soft peaks form (1-2 minutes). Add sifted powdered sugar and beat until fully incorporated and glossy (about 2 minutes).
- Reserve 3 tablespoons of the egg white mixture and set aside.
- Add ground almonds, cinnamon, vanilla sugar, and salt to the meringue. Stir gently to incorporate ingredients.
- Layout a sheet of parchment paper and dust with powdered sugar. Roll out dough to about ¼ inch thickness. If the dough is too sticky to work with, add ore ground almonds and powdered sugar as needed.
- Cut with a star cookie cutter (or any cookie cutter to your liking) and transfer cookies to the parchment-lined baking sheet, then brush the tops with the reserved egg white topping.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes, or until the bottoms are lightly browned and the egg white frosting is set.
- Allow cooling completely